Welcome Guest

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Format for movie on DVD/CD
Options
Sr. Tanya Johnson  
Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2009 9:45:35 AM(UTC)

I am adding short movies to a genealogy DVD and CD. What is the best format to use in these cases? I tried wmv and MP4. The wmv movies were not available to the person I sent the DVD to. I've tried converting the same movies to MP4 but have yet to hear if they are available to the person who's trying it.

Any suggestions of the file format to use in this case? Or any other hints?

Thanks!
Tanya
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:20:25 AM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
In order to create a DVD, you need to convert to MPEG-2 DVD (NTSC) format. The MPEG-2 file can be burned to DVD using any DVD burning software, such as Nero Vision or Sonic DVD. Most DVD burners come with DVD burning software. Make sure you select "Video DVD" and not "Data DVD" when choosing which DVD type to create.

You can also create a Video CD (VCD), which most DVD players and Windows Media Player can play. Use DMC to convert to MPEG VCD (NTSC) and use your DVD authoring software, such as Nero or Roxio to author the VCD.

See the following article:
https://www.deskshare.com/resources/articles/dmc_understandingvcddvdformats.aspx

If your correspondent is using a Windows PC, he/she should be able to play WMV files. MPEG 1 is the most widely compatible video format. MPEG 1 files can be played on almost any computer, including very old ones. However, they tend to be much larger than the same video saved in MP4 or WMV or QuickTime format. Do you know what type of computer or device your correspondent will be using to play the video?
Rss Feed  Atom Feed

Copyright © DeskShare Incorporated.  All rights reserved.