Welcome Guest

Notification

Icon
Error

Forum Jump  
Size of files on DVD is larger than size of files on my hard disk
Options
CLWenn  
Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 11:50:17 AM(UTC)

First of all, thank you for "DVD Author Plus".

I want to use the software to back up data files from my computer to DVD. On my first use, I noticed the size of the folder that I burned to the DVD was considerably larger than the same folder size as it resided on my computer's hard drive.

I think the difference may be due to the software's handing of shortcut files or *.lnk files. For example, if my ficticious Folder_A has a shortcut file pointing to Folder_B, I still only want the contents of Folder_A (and none of Folder_B) in my backup. However, as I was watching filenames being prepared for burning to DVD, I think I spotted files which weren't in Folder_A, but were in fact in Folder_B, the targets of *.lnk files in Folder_A.

If this is the case, how can I instruct the software to back up the link files, but not back up their targets? I see in the software's setup menu item that there is an option to exclude files with specific extensions. I could exclude the *.lnk files, but I would like those *.lnk files (but not their targets) backed up, if possible.

Thanks in advance for your assistance -- and thanks again for your software.

CLWenn
DeskShare - Support  
Posted : Friday, December 23, 2011 3:50:17 PM(UTC)
DeskShare - Support

Was thanked: 41 time(s) in 34 post(s)
If a shortcut is added to the burn list, DVD Author Plus will backup the actual file referenced by the shortcut.

It is easy to confuse the shortcut file with a real file. If you are making a backup it is more likely that you will want to backup real data rather than just a shortcut file. You can exclude the *.lnk files and the data files will not be backed up.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed

Copyright © DeskShare Incorporated.  All rights reserved.